Gmail’s default layout is fine, it works. Gmail usually displays five tabs: Primary, Promotion, Social, Update, and Forums. So, how do you change this layout to be more conducive to your efficiency? Let me show you that
Gmail offers a few customization options, such as:
- Layout: How much information is displayed in the left pane?
- Theme: The global theme applied to UI.
- Inbox Type: The actual layout of the UI.
- Reading Pane: How the Reading pane is displayed.
- Email Threading: Whether or not the email is displayed in conversation view.
We are going to focus on Inbox Type because it makes the biggest difference in Gmail.
Here are the options you’ll find under Inbox Type:
- Default: Display your emails In tabs and can be customized.
- Important First: Removes the tabs and read important emails. (those in contacts) first.
- Starred First: Removes tabs and reads starred emails first.
- Unread First: Remove all tabs and read all unread emails.
- Priority First: Remove tabs and display starred and unread emails first.
- Multiple Inboxes: Remove tabs.
Changing your Gmail layout
1.Log into Gmail
2. Open the Settings pane
3. Customize the Default layout
Once you made your customization, click save and you are done
Enjoy your improved Gmail layout.