How To Correct Siri’s Pronunciation Of Names
Apple’s digital assistant Siri is quite good at pronouncing names correctly, but rarely one will misperceive it. The good thing is, you can help Siri say the names of your contacts correctly. Siri’s voice pitch and natural language have improved knowingly over the years. But, she can sometimes mispronounce a name just like humans.
If you already are aware that the iPhone’s AI struggles with certain names you can go straight to their entry in your Contacts list. Or you can filter the request through Siri’s voice commands: “Change how you pronounce [insert contact’s name].”
This article explains how.
Some names can be hard for Siri to pronounce properly on the first try, but you can teach the digital assistant. Thanks to a type of field that can be added to the person’s contact on your iPhone.
The steps below show you how they can be done.
- Launch the Contacts app on your iPhone.
- Select a person in your contacts.
- Tap Edit in the top-right corner.
- Under the “Notes” section, tap add a field.
- Select the Pronunciation first name or the Pronunciation second name, depending on which name Siri is having trouble with.
- Next, tap the pronunciation field and spell out the name phonetically (how it sounds).
- Tap Done in the top-right corner when you’re finished.
From now on, Siri will remember how to pronounce that certain name. This doesn’t certainly work every time. Some names are still too difficult for Siri to understand how to pronounce, but this works most of the time.
The next time Siri says the name, it will survey your phonetic spelling. Keep in mind, you can edit the pronunciation at any time using the Edit button on the contact card.