In case you’re paranoid and think your calendar is public, here’s how to confirm that your Google calendar is practically private (at least, as private as a Google calendar can be).
Note: Most privacy controls for entire calendars are only available on the web app but still you can choose to share or not share events from your mobile Calendar app.
First of all, note that if you haven’t checked the box that makes your entire calendar available to everyone.
- In your Google Calendar page, go to the My Calendars section in the left-hand column.
- Hover over the calendar you want to check, and click on the three dots that appear to the right of the calendar name.
- Click on Settings and sharing.
- Click on Access permissions for events in the left column (you can also scroll down to it), and make sure Make available to the public is not checked.
Note: There is the possibility that you’ll have additional options here in case your account is being directed by your employer or by an organization. For instance, to make your calendar visible to your colleagues without it being completely public.
Make sure “Make available to the public” is not checked. You can use the blue “Add people” box below that to give access to specific people.
Sharing Your Calendars:
You can also share your calendar with friends, family, or colleagues. You can do it in the same settings and sharing section if you want to share it with somebody in particular.
- Click on Share with specific people in the left column (you can also scroll down to it) and click on the blue + Add people button.
- Start typing in the Add email or name box; you’ll be offered a drop-down menu of your contacts to choose from, or you can type in a new email. You can add several email addresses if you want.
- Click on the Permissions drop-down. You have several choices: to let the person or persons see all event details, to let them make changes to events, or let them make changes and further share events. You can also only let them see if you are free or busy at certain times (so all specifics about what you’re doing are hidden)
- Click Send